Saturday, November 1, 2014

After a Morning Shower


so I’ve been thinking as I occasionally  do
during my daily baptism, each morning
washing on a new self (dedicated to truth,
justice and a more human way, which lasts almost until after I’ve donned my briefs),
and somewhere in there I get global thoughts, I mean big ideas and ‘time’
echoes back to me

I suppose ‘the times’ have always been the same
and in the political world demagogues have all ways spoken the words
mobs love to hear
and jingoists have in all ways fashioned
frenzied phrases fixing young and old adrenaline
creating the ‘moral’ basis that entice their children to
murder and be murdered

(I wonder why we wonder when we see the blood-flecked grins on the urchins in the streets)

amidst this and the ordinary dreariness of ordinary exigencies
I am drawn to the echo of your word – ‘time’ -
it is all to us, and it is true I aim to steal what I can of it -
that is my one fundamental honesty –
and so I look for jewels that cannot be bought
a fool, although not on the scale of Camus’ Caligula, who could not be satisfied but by owning the moon in the water, but who can, in plundering pleasure and sensual oblivion,
give deep wounds to a soft heart

and I knew from the first when you strayed from your intended target –
a mild giggle of fate -
that you were a gem formed by tremendous forces
(or like a famous trompe d’oeil, you created yourself in spite of tremendous forces)
and I was fascinated, even distracted, and my thieving self conspired that
I would know that ruby and the soul within
knowing that I was a thief

(time is stingy and has closed claws binding the count)

knowing that I was a dreamer, dreaming of being a thief and at that time
I had been playing the eunuch to a dull and dreary wife with no interest in my dreams
nor even my thievery
bound as she was to her own desires and the depression that seemed to be the only comfort she could take
I don’t know why but when you awoke my dreams the ether changed
and the One Woman appeared, knowing all my secret thoughts
she vibrated
and awoke herself and tenderness blossomed and I was semi-stunned and grateful
and I struggled with the thief and the idiot within
stammered out an apology to my unknown god and returned to the void inside

but then we had tea ( you and I)
and the foreplay was exquisite because your eyes danced and your mind sang in synaptic joy parrying the little bolts of my tease knowing I was made by your taunting laughter
and the flash of your tongue gliding over your teeth like a masterly concerto
and I nearly ached with wanting, torn by the man monster and the god
wanting to be good, wanting to be bad
and your goodbye flipped me out
so tempting so woman

(the black lace enfolding the oh so desirable so fascinating flesh)

then time plowed on and now I think of the drawing never finished, the poem never spoken, the song never heard and the space unfilled
but I loved the dream of playing with you forgetting the worm that waits, the ‘other’
that trusts, the theft of time, the sin of betrayal
I meant no harm though all I offered was emptiness







No comments:

Post a Comment